- One of major reason for Informatica etl tool success is its capability of enabling Lean Integration, Lean manufacturing is common concept in manufacturing industry to avoid waste. Informatica also leverage the same integration model.Note: Lean integration or Lean manufacturing is a management or production method that eliminate the waste within a manufacture or organization system.
- High “GO Live” success rate .Informatica claims the highest ration of successful deployment which it says is near 100%. Product rate of renewal and customer loyalty (94% and 92%) is significant from industry average.
- Easy training and tool availability has made easy resource availability for software industry, where else other ETL tools are way behind in this aspect. This definitely helps organization in reducing training costs. Moreover forming a new team for this tool is not as challenging as others.
- Informatica ETL is moderate expansive tool, where else tools like ab initio is very expensive which has many added advantages in technical aspect , Same time others ETL tools are having their own challenges like ease of use, re-usability , debugging, connectivity which makes informatica as an ideal ETL tool.
- Informatica comes with internal scheduler unlike many other ETL tools where one need to use third party scheduler. An added advantage for those who are not using enterpriser scheduler. For many organizations taking a proprietary scheduler is not strategic. Especially if module is in POC phase for business.
- Informatica follows mainstream marketing strategy where it leverages paper work, press release, web forums and network community. This provides it leading edge in ETL space. Other ETL players believe more on direct client marketing.
We are now in a better position to appreciate why Informatica is the best solution in such cases. We will also understand what are the typical real life scenario where in Informatica can come very handy.
How Informatica performs ETL:
- PowerCenter reads data, row by row, from a table (or group of related tables) in a database, or from a file.
- This database or file is referred to as the source
- The structure of the source is contained in a source definition object.
- Informatica PowerCenter converts the rows into a format the second (target) system will be able to use
- The logic for this conversion is defined in transformation objects
- Informatica PowerCenter writes data, row by row, to a table (or group of related tables) in a database, or to a file
- This database or file is referred to as the target
- The structure of the target is contained in a target definition objec
- Real time application of Infomatica:Typical scenario in which Informatica is used:
- Data Migration:
- A company purchases a new accounts payable application. PowerCenter can move the existing account data to the new application. Informatica preserves data lineage for tax, accounting, and other legally mandated purposes
- Application Integration:
Company A purchases Company B. So to achieve the benefits of consolidation, Company B’s billing system must be integrated into Company A’s billing system which can be easily done by Informatica
Typical actions required in datawarehouses are:
- Data warehouses put information from many sources together for analysis
- Data is moved from many databases to the Data warehouse
All the above typical cases can be easily performed using Informatica
Informatica can connect a variety of sources, including most of the Application Sources.
- SAP certified Data Integration tool
- Can pull and push data into SAP R3, SAP BW systems
- Have connectivity adapter for majority of the Application Sources
It can also be used as middleware between two applications like SAP R3, SAP BW etc